Whether you have one employee or teams of hundreds working for you, one of the most important aspects of running a successful business is being a great leader. There are many different styles of leadership that might come to mind when we think of people in powerful positions, but there are a number of common characteristics that most of them share. If you aim to be a great leader, rather than someone who merely manages people, here are some helpful tips and qualities to bear in mind.
- Be Honest – Your business and its employees are a reflection of yourself and if you make ethical and honest behavior a top priority, the effects will be felt throughout our company. Create a list of core values and beliefs for your business and share them with everyone and encourage them to strive for these standards together to create a friendly and positive work environment.
- Learn to Delegate – When your leading a team or a company there can be a tendency to want to be involved in every element of the business, but truly great leaders trust their team with their vision. By identifying the strengths of each employee and capitalizing on them by delegating tasks to the appropriate people, you will help your company grow and flourish exponentially.
- Communicate – You may have a clear vision of what you want your business to accomplish, but without great communication skills, you’ll struggle to share your goals with your team. Make sure that lines of communication are always open with your employees and connect with them on a daily basis to make sure everyone is on the same page.
- Stay Confident and Committed – Leading a team, no matter the size, is a demanding task that presents frequent challenges. Great leaders remain steadfast in their commitment to their goals and vision and are always willing to pitch in and go the extra mile with their team to accomplish what needs to get done. By remaining confident and positive and committing to your goals and promises, you will inspire your whole team.
- Be Creative and Have a Sense of Humor – Being a great leader doesn’t mean you have to maintain a stuffy attitude at all times. By showing your team that you are human and keeping a healthy, positive attitude will help boost morale and inspire others to maintain that balance. Thinking creatively and experimenting with new ideas is also excellent inspiration for your employees.
What qualities do you look for in a great leader? Find out how BOSS can help you be a more effective leader with our Strategic Planning solutions.