We all know that exercising more is great for staying in shape and losing weight, but working out can do more than just slim your waistline, it can also help you have a more productive and enjoyable workday. Many of us find that our days get busy and we feel like we don’t have time to exercise. But studies show that just 20 minutes of a morning workout routine can dramatically improve your day.
There are even plenty of exercises you can do at or near your desk to give you a quick boost during your day. Whether it’s a quick trip to the gym, yoga, running, swimming or biking, here are a number of reasons why exercising is great for all employees.
- More Energy – Fit employees have increased and sustained energy throughout the day. They can also stay focused on each task and be more productive overall.
- More Self-confidence – Healthy individuals tend to have a higher level of self-confidence, which empowers them to challenge themselves and strive for higher levels of achievement at work.
- Few Sick Days – The more physically fit you are, the more likely your body is able to fight off colds and maintain a high level of immunity.
- Stronger Leadership – Employees that work out tend to take on more leadership roles and inspire confidence among other employees.
- Better Attitudes – Fit employees generally feel more positive and have a strong mental balance that results in better attitudes around the office.
- Less Stress – Regular exercise helps relieve both physical and emotional tensions that long hours of work can cause.
- Set and Achieve Goals – Fitness routines require that an individual set and reach goals to improve. This skill of setting and achieving goals easily transfers into the workplace.
- Team–building Opportunities – Extracurricular team activities like softball, tennis or racquetball are excellent way for employees to extend their professional relationships and discover new ways of working together.
Encouraging fitness amongst employees demonstrates a concern for the overall well-being of your employees. In addition to the benefits listed above, employees greatly appreciate an employer who cares about their health and fitness and provides opportunities for them to exercise. Whether through wellness programs, gym membership discounts, activity days or sponsored athletic events and groups, opportunities for fitness will benefit both your employees and your business overall.