Putting your bookkeeping services in the hands of someone outside your company can be very stressful. But if you’ve been on the fence about outsourcing your business accounting with an online bookkeeping service, now is the time to take the leap. Using an online accounting company can free up valuable time and resources so that your company can grow and succeed even more. If you’re ready to take the next step towards hiring an online service to do your company’s bookkeeping, here are 7 tips to help you choose the best one.
- Understand what you need. Many online bookkeeping companies offer a variety of services, including accounting/bookkeeping, account software management, audit and tax preparation, payroll, and strategic planning. Figure out what specific services you need and what you want to continue handling in-house. Seek out a company who can give you exactly what you want, whether that includes a specialty in one particular area or expertise in a variety of services.
- Consider the location. If you don’t mind never meeting your bookkeepers, search for price and value over location. However, keep in mind that the financial services that this outside company is providing are vital to your business’ success. You may feel more comfortable meeting accounting experts in person and being able to stop by the company’s physical office whenever you please.
- Check out the company’s software and technology. As you look at different companies, ask about the technology and software that they use. The point of an online bookkeeping service is to make your life easier. If your company has access to more advanced technology and more thorough accounting software than a bookkeeping company has, they’re probably not right for you. Also ensure that the software the company uses will work for you. You’ll likely need to learn the basics of the software as well, so be sure to ask about training opportunities.
- Ask about the staff. Find out how many people are on the staff, what their credentials are, and how many of them will be working on your company’s bookkeeping. Too many people mean that some things may be overlooked and the likelihood of miscommunication is higher, but too few people mean that there is less expertise and experience, along with fewer people to complete important and timely tasks.
- Find out about security measures. Ask the online bookkeeping services what security measures they have in place for protecting your information. Find out if and how you’ll be able to access particular information and what they will do in the case of a security breach.
- Do your research. Once you’ve narrowed down your possible candidates, do some research. Ask other business owners if they know much about the company, and look at some online reviews.
- Explore the contract. If you’ve found an online bookkeeping service that seems to meet your needs, further explore the contract before you make a definite commitment. Look for information on liability, data protection, service commitment, and the overall reliability of the company.
Contact BOSS today to discuss our bookkeeping services!