The morale and culture of your office place plays a large role in the performance of your company. Poor attitudes drag down employee performance, causing many to scrape by doing the bare minimum. As a result, a ripple effect occurs, and the entire office will suffer from loss of workplace integrity, poor attitude, bad performance, and less than par customer service.
With a Gallup poll reporting 70 percent of employees to be dissatisfied in the workplace and only 30 percent enjoying their job, it’s important for your company to find ways to boost office morale to keep a positive work environment. As a result, you’ll see drastic changes in your employees’ performance and the overall success of your company.
Here are some fun and easy ways to make your employees look forward to going to work in the morning, while striving to do their best.
- Offer contests or special drawings each quarter to reward employees for their hard work. Whether it’s a special shirt or an extra day off, it gives employees something to work towards.
- Add a little excitement into the atmosphere with fun themed dress up days. Celebrate holidays by wearing themed shirts or shake things up a bit with wacky outfits.
- Periodically, host company celebrations for birthdays, holidays, accomplishing business goals, or just as a way to say “thank you for your hard work.”
- Allow your employees to personalize their workspace. Nothing says boring like bland walls. Let your employees spice thing up a bit with décor they enjoy to provide them with a fun and comfortable work atmosphere.
- Show your appreciate with personalized notes, postings on a bulletin board, or a small token of appreciation to recognize an employee who has gone above and beyond their required job duties.
- Many employees are often consumed by family stress. Show your employees that family matters by offering family-care programs to help reduce the stress.
- Understand that mistakes happen and your reaction to a mistake will impact all of your employees. Look at an employee’s overall performance when handling a mistake.
- Often, employees feel like they live two separate lives: their home life and their work life. Bring both together with a “bring your family to work day” or a family picnic for a fun celebration.
- Offer flexible work options as Gallup reports that working remotely, even part time, promotes employee engagement and productivity.
- Reward employees that exhibit strong leadership by offering recognition for their contributions. This will encourage others to reinforce your company’s values and mission.
- Give your employees a purpose, not just a job. Clearly share your company’s mission statement and how it will benefit others to add purpose to your employees’ tasks.
- Feature a “good news hour” where you start the day sharing all of the amazing things that have happened over the course of the previous day or the last week.
- Breakaway from mandatory work breaks to encourage random days off for birthdays and quarterly employee get-togethers to boost team spirit and culture. It can’t be all work and no play.
- Encourage daily affirmations throughout your company by sending out inspirational quotes or goals to work towards throughout the day.
- Hold friendly office competitions to encourage fun and goals to work towards, such as weekly sales contests.
Remember, the core to positive office morale and culture starts with you. You must act as the leader to create a positive environment where people enjoy working. Step-up and lead as the example and your employees will follow. For more guidance and tips with your operations support and more, contact Back Office Support Solution today!